Ten Healed of Leprosy
Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master, have pity on us!”
When he saw them, he said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed.
One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him - and he was a Samaritan.
Jesus asked, “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?” Then he said to him, “Rise and go; your faith has made you well.” -- Luke 17:11-19
The original condition of the ten
- Painful and disgusting
- Contagious and loathsome to others
- Excluded from society
Application to Christ
- Kept their distance from Jesus
- Not wanting to disgust or offend
- By law not allowed to come near a clean person
- Earnest request, begging for mercy
- The ten were one in their prayer for healing
- Demonstrated faith and reverence in their request