La Blanca is located along Texas Hwy 107 at FM-493, west of Elsa and east of San Carlos, in south-central Hidalgo County.
The town was named for La Blanca Ranch, established on the Gil Zarate survey before 1800. Settlement by Anglo-Americans from the north occurred in the early 1900s, when the railroad came to the area.
La Blanca has had a post office since 1927, serving the Texas and New Orleans Railroad line. In the late 1920s its population was recorded as 200. In 1941, there were seven businesses and a population of 150, which approximates its current population.
La Blanca is an unincorporated locality.